Start Date: June 6, 2011
A while back, I saw that my sister Hilary had compiled a “101 things in 1,001 days” list. Since then, I have seen it on many blogs across the Internet. My husband David and I have been working on a goals list for ourselves – things we want to accomplish in the next 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years and 10 years. I’ve married our shorter-term goals to my own personal ones for this life list.
End Date: March 4, 2014
Last updated: September 25, 2013
Currently: 45/101 things completed
Things Involving Money…
Replace my station wagon’s alternator(sold car – July 2011) Buy new vehicle to replace Saturn(done, replaced with PT Cruiser – July 2012) Move to a larger home.(done, moved into 2 bedroom apartment – August 2012)
- Save (at least) $1000 in an emergency fund. ($0 towards this goal – September 2013)
File to have child support through the court.(done – November 2012) Sell something on Craigslist.(done, sold futon – July 2011) Buy a sofa.(done, though we inherited a sofa, rather than buying one – August 2012)
- Keep up with monthly Insane Goals list! (so far, so good – September 2013)
Buy a new TV (current one is very old).(done – February 2013) Upgrade/replace computer.(done – January 2012) Buy a great camera.(done – January 2012)
- Pay off 50% of past debts.
Increase blogging income significantly.(2013) Replace our mattress.(done – March 2012)
Things Involving Health (Physical & Mental)…
- Stay sober & stable. (Completely sober since February 2010!)
- No cutting or self-harm. (with much effort, since January 2011!)
Quit smoking, permanently.(Done, effective August 2013)
- Lose 50 lbs. (not counting baby weight).
- Stop drinking soda for 30 days.
Eat a salad from our garden.(July 2011) Bike or walk/run (at least) 1 mile per week.(Summer 2013)
- Buy personal medical insurance for David & I.
Dance in public.(done – many times) Buy a blender to make smoothies.(August 2013) Cook holiday turkey/ham at home.(November 2012) Organize pantry.(done – August 2012)
- Plant a fruit tree.
- Re-plant garden (had to leave ours behind when we moved).
Things Involving Others…
- Participate in Greenville’s Zombie Walk
- Go to Artisphere
Make more real-life friends.(done, but more would be even better – September 2012)
- Attend Indie Craft Parade.
- Participate in Relay for Life.
Attend a Counting Crows concert.(done – June 2012) Attend a Cowboy Mouth concert.(done – June 2013) Take the girls to their first live concert.(done – June 2012)
- Have girls’ friends over for a sleepover party.
Things Involving Creativity…
Knit a pair of socks for each of us before it gets cold.(done – December 2012)
- Knit cardigan sweater for David
Frame David’s original artwork.(done – August 2012) Do (at least) 1 art show with David.(done – October 2012)
- Frame our original Ruth Thompson artwork.
- Go to the Renaissance Faire in costume.
Attend a Halloween costume party.(done – October 2010) Rebuild aquarium.(2 small ones – February 2013)
- Plant roses.
Donate knit blankets to parents dealing with pregnancy and infant loss.(July 2013) Donate Teeny Tears diapers to parents dealing with pregnancy and infant loss.(July 2013) Buy/pick fresh flowers for the house at least once a month.(done, starting July 2012)
- Bury a time capsule.
Things Involving Adventure…
- Take a family vacation to Washington, DC
- Take the girls to a theme park
- Visit Patsy’s grave again.
- Visit Biltmore House
- Wiggle my toes in the Atlantic Ocean
- Visit an aquarium.
Go to the zoo.(done – October 2011)
- Take a ghost tour.
- Take the girls to MagiQuest.
- Go to Charleston, SC.
- Go to DragonCon in Atlanta, GA.
- Play putt-putt golf.
- Take a boat ride.
- Fly a kite.
- Family go-karts!
- Go fishing.
Shoot fireworks.(done – January 2012)
- Play laser tag with David.
- Go tubing on the Green River in North Carolina.
- Ride a roller coaster.
- Sing karaoke.
- Go hiking.
Go on a picnic.(done – May 2012) Chase fireflies with the girls.(Summer 2013) Watch all 8 Harry Potter movies.(done – November 2011)
- Feed the ducks at Furman University.
Feed the koi at Clemson Botanical Gardens.(done – 6/15/2011) Vote in presidential election – 2012.(done – November 2012)
Things Involving Learning…
- Teach Lakin to ride a bike/scooter.
Teach the girls to crochet/knit.(done – February 2012)
- Read at least 6 books/year with David. (Read 3 so far – June 2013)
Buy/build a set of dining room chairs.(done – September 2012)
- Build an art desk for David.
- Learn to play guitar.
Meet my new nephew Avery.(done – 7/2/2011)
- Lose 50 lbs. permanently.
Give birth to a third child.(done – 7/1/2012, though she was born still.)
- Give birth to a fourth child, our rainbow baby. (due April 2014!)
- Have a wedding ceremony.
- Dance at our wedding ceremony.
- Swim naked.
- Stop biting my fingernails.
- Get another tattoo.
- Buy (and wear) a red dress.
Dye my hair a crazy color (again).(done – 6/10/2011) Welcome my brother Zeb home from Afghanistan.(done – 9/9/2012)
- Go hear Handel’s Messiah with Mama at Christmas.
Buy new jeans.(done, October 2011)
- Taste absinthe.
Eat watermelon.(done, September 2012)
- Meet a real-life superhero.
Have you participated in a challenge like this? If so, how did it work out for you? I’m hoping it helps us really re-focus on our goals and stay on target to reach them. Wish me luck!
Latest posts by Heather O. (see all)
- A Rainbow After The Storm - April 6, 2014
- Sunshine After The Storm – Mother’s Day 2014 Campaign - March 26, 2014
- Their Stories Are Not Mine To Tell - March 15, 2014
- Under Construction… - March 4, 2014